Sunday, March 9, 2008

a visit to the 'dreaded' library

I always dreaded libraries in my life -- may be because of the ambience--the sea of books that stare at you, as if to say, "if you have not read me yet - your 'knowledge' is not upto the mark...
seriously, I have this notion that libraries are for the studious kind of people and I definitely am not one of that breed. I think this notion dawned on me during my engineering school days in SVU, Tirupathi -- when there are these group of friends who used to spend time reading at the library, whenever they get a chance. Read more than 2,3 books on the same subject to 'understand' it better--I was like, what?!#$...I've to read 2,3 books to understand what a topic is about...I better avoid that subject then...it will not come in the exams, and even if it comes, I will pick another 'choice' question...That my engineering marks speaks about the quality of 'read' hours that I put in is a reality today.
Anywayse, I took my niece to the library yesterday and I took a 'new' membership for myself as well..Went through the children's section to see if I can pick a 'Barney' book or video for Raagini -- she is very adamant that 'Barney' stars in any video that she sees, at 16months she has 'her' own favorites -- I was amazed at the wealth of information and the different forms of it -- and to top that, easy access to all the common people. As you can expect, the moment I took my membership, the 'librarian' helped me with FAQs and policies and no surprises-- you can search online for a lot of things and I can return borrowed things to any of the 'interlinked' libraries -- "Wonderful" -- now, if only I can be a little disciplined to return things on time -- my sis-in-law says that its easier said than done and going by the amount we spent on late fees on movie rentals, I dont hold my breath on not paying any dues to Fremont library :)

No comments: